Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

On Soldiers and Snails

Last winter my battalion pulled duty patrolling a stretch of the security fence south of Kalkilia intercepting Palestinians crossing over in search of employment in Israel, or "snails" as they are called over the army radio. For the most part this entailed stopping the local Palestinian cabbies and checking their passenger's ID lest they be transporting snails.

Late one day we passed by "snail central", an empty lot where the cabbies wait to collect snails on their way home. I told our driver to stop and grabbed a young guy my daughter's age to cover me. At first the cabbies thought I was looking for trouble, understandably considering that I was decked out in 18 kilos of ceramic armor, a combat helmet and an M-16.

"Anybody got a light?" Everybody relaxed and one of the braver ones pulled out a lighter and before I knew it I was standing there in the middle of 20 or so curious cabbies; not as a soldier among snails, but as one of that brotherhood called smokers. We smoked and cracked jokes and got acquainted.

"Tell me, how much is cab fare around here?"
One of the guys shrugged. "It depends. Usually about 5 shekels (1.50 dollars), maybe a little more if it's far, a little less if it's close by."
I was feeling a little mischievous. "And if I wanted a ride. Would you take me?"
A guy my age played along. "Sure. Why not?"
"And do you have a special rate for soldiers?" (Soldiers get a discount on public transportation here.)
"Of course," the cabbie laughed, "For you it's 10 shekels."

After that evening the atmosphere was almost friendly in our sector, at least for me. The cabbies would grin when they saw that it was their smoking buddy pulling them over and I would go though the motions. I was just doing my job and I realized they were just doing theirs. After all, without the army, there would be no such thing as snails, and without snails the army would probably send middle aged guys like me off to do something a lot more dangerous.

When I got home, I wrote "Reserves and Reservations". My battalion started another tour of duty in the same sector last week. For the first time in more than 20 years I asked to stay home this time. It's not that I mind the "snails"; it's just that every year it's a little bit harder than last to function in the cold.

May God bless every one of the men in the 670th and bring them home safe in body and soul. Amen

No comments:

Sunset over the Sea of Galilee; the day is almost done and the way back home in sight.