Pages

Friday, February 22, 2008

Morning


I open my eyes, and where and when and who materialize as the mist clears. Memories of dreams haven’t faded yet and tempt me to linger, but the day awaits me, beckoning like a new playmate, and I hasten to meet him.

Last night I woke from a bad dream, covered in sweat and confusion. For the longest time I lie there dazed; too tired to rise and wander off into the darkness, too disoriented to discern past from present, nor tell shadow from shape. Finding no harbor for my thoughts in the night, I pushed off and drifted back into the silent stream of slumber.

Morning. The first day of the rest of my life is waiting for me like an unopened gift and my spirit is impatient to unwrap today's surprises. Rested and rising, I wade ashore as the the dreams slip off away into the depths of last night until they disappear.

No comments:

Sunset over the Sea of Galilee; the day is almost done and the way back home in sight.