Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Footprints in the Snow

Maybe you were always there and I just can't remember.
All that comes to mind is a girl with freckles and big glasses giggling with her girlfriends;
then one day the glasses and giggles were gone,
and you were beautiful.

Our paths crossed, but I never dreamed they'd meet,

and could scarcely believe it when it did.
We made footprints in the fresh fallen snow
as I walked you home that night,
And I kissed you and you kissed me back.
And time paused for a moment
In a world bright and pure and white.

We counted the stars I'd seen so many times,
And for the first time I knew their wonder,
And I suppose the world went 'round,
But all I can recall is the snowflake in my hand.

The moment was magic; I didn't wonder when it passed.
You were no longer a girl and I not yet a man.
We went our ways without a struggle or a song,
And the tracks we made vanished and were gone.

Years have blown away and melted, and snow is sprinkled in our hair.

I don't regret the path I've taken, nor should you.
Yet every now and then I look back and remember
our footprints in the snow.

Joyeux anniversaire,
Ami

1 comment:

Olivia said...

Thank you for your comment. I miss Israel a lot. It was so authentic and lifechanging. I appreciate you taking time to see the country from my point of view.

This poem is really beautiful. I love poetry and not only that, but when words can bring life to a situation in the heart.

Sunset over the Sea of Galilee; the day is almost done and the way back home in sight.