Pages

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Tiny Dancer

Take me closer tiny dancer
Count the headlights on the highway
Laid down in sheets of linen
You had a busy day today

(from "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John)

I didn't know it was you when it came over the radio driving home.
I'd seen you around but didn't know you,
and yet all that week Elton John's song
"Candle in the Wind" kept running in my head,
only the words had changed;

And I would have liked to have known you
But you were just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever did

You did so much in such little time,
you danced before millions.

You are famous,
but I didn't know you,
You're gone but you touched us,
we still feel you.

You made waves
that reached every corner of the sea,
but the stone that you dropped
in our little pond
has left us dry.

And you're still here,
dancing here,
a tiny dancer in my head.

Ballerina,
you must have seen her dancing in the sand.
And now she's in me, always with me,
tiny dancer in my hand.

No comments:

Sunset over the Sea of Galilee; the day is almost done and the way back home in sight.