Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

About 'The Last Summer'

Maayan e-mailed me, wondering if I was a bit blue when I posted "The Last Summer" below (my translation into English). Allow me to explain....

Back in the early 90's, Temporary Sanity were some kids that jammed together, but hitherto had played only for friends and at high school parties. On a lark they recorded 'The Last Summer'. It was a bittersweet ode to passing youth; that last summer after graduation when one after the other they get drafted until they have all disappeared like autumn leaves.

Little did we know back then that we were living the last summer of temporary sanity before Oslo, suicide bombers and Lebanon. The lyrics written in innocence took on new ominous meaning. Some, too many, empty seats at high school reunions were silent testimony to the insanity of the times.

But I posted it simply because I ran across it on Utube and its still a beautiful song.

Don't worry, Maayan, I'm not blue, and at least for now temporarily sane.

No comments:

Sunset over the Sea of Galilee; the day is almost done and the way back home in sight.