Pages

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Avital

Most Israeli kids go abroad when they finish their army service. They don't just travel; they choose the most out of the way places in the world and live out of a backpack until the money runs out. It's almost a rite of passage. It's as if making life and death decisions for three years wasn't enough to prove themselves and they need something more. Or you have to physically remove yourself from this pressure cooker country to find a little peace for the soul.

A couple of years ago Maayan was in Nepal. Israelis abroad network and hook up with other Israelis wherever they go. Maayan was with some kids she had met on her way and Avital, a friend of a friend. They set out on a trek over the mountains to the Frozen Lakes.

They were pressed for time because the fast of Yom Kippur was approaching, so instead of making a gradual ascent they took a more direct route up to a pass and made it to a guest house. Maayan hadn't been drinking enough and by the time they arrived she was showing signs of altitude sickness – disorientation, vomiting and hypothermia (Her body temperature had dropped to 35 degrees Celsius).

Avital realized what was happening to Maayan and knew what to do. She stripped her down and opened sleeping bags to cover up and together with another girl got in with Maayan and revived her with their body heat. By the next morning Maayan felt like new and the group continued on its way.

It was with much trepidation that I sent Maayan out into the world alone. I didn't realize that she wasn't alone at all. I believe that angels were with her those long months that she trekked India and Nepal, watching over her.

I don't know if Avital is an angel or not. I know she's flesh and blood because I've met her. I don't know if she's what they call a real live hero.

But I know this: if Avital isn't an angel, then she was sent by angels. She's the one that gave me my Maayan back safe and sound. For me Avital is every bit a hero, the most important one of all.

No comments:

Sunset over the Sea of Galilee; the day is almost done and the way back home in sight.