Pages

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Maayan's Killer Apartment in Jerusalem

My daughter Maayan lives in Jerusalem. She has an apartment with two flatmates on the fifth floor in Rechavia, a quiet neighborhood in the western part of the city. It's a thirty minute walk from the walls of the old city and has a view of the new city's skyline.

Maayan wasn't able to make it home for Shabbat, so on Thursday I took Saba Mel and Savta Pat for an overnight at her place.

I like going to Jerusalem because there's always something new. Jerusalem is like my room when I was a kid; cluttered with the streets making a trail between the odds and ends, brand new toys like the modern Calatrava lightrail bridge piled on top of old keepsakes like the Wailing Wall.


There's Maayan. She is on the balcony ajoining her room.







She's too busy with her mobile to notice me snooping around.










The flat has balconies facing three directions, but one they use for storage. Maayan was using a flatmate's Internet connection, but he got married and took the connection with him, so now she has to take her laptop out on the balcony off of their living room to try to find a wireless connection in the area. It's hard to see the screen in the direct sunlight, so Saba and Savta tried to help by providing shade.




I like the balcony off of her bedroom the best.


You can see the new Supreme Court Building and the Knesset, Israel's parliment, over the rooftops.























I woke before dawn and watched the morning paint the building opposite in gold and rose with sunlight.


A young woman's apartment is a fascinating place.
Maayan has a life, and I'm only a small part of it.

................................................................................................. I like seeing where she works.



I like watching her get ready to go out.















I'm not a city person, but I love Jerusalem. I think it's the only city I could live in. I love her color and history and her crazy mix of people.
.
.
But what I love the most about Jerusalem is Maayan.

No comments:

Sunset over the Sea of Galilee; the day is almost done and the way back home in sight.